A letter from Sail Training International:
For the first time in history Sail Training International (STI) and the American Sail Training Association (ASTA) will join forces to host a joint Sail Training and Tall Ships Conference to take place in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada on November 14 -15, 2008 and have issued a call for Conference Speakers.
There are two overall themes for the Conference as follows:
– Sail Training – ‘Best Practices for Sail Training – Why we do it and how we do it’.
– Host Ports – ‘Working Together – Measuring and Maximising the Benefits of Partnering with the Sail Training Industry’.
Within the overall themes there is scope for presentations on a wide variety of topics. Some ideas for which we are looking for speakers for are:
– Characteristics of an effective sail training program
– Recruitment of Trainees – remaining competitive
– Voyages for the Disabled/Special Needs
– Medicine at Sea
– Navigating the Regulatory Seas
– Protecting the Marine Environment
– Incident analysis
– Risk Management
– Risk Management – security, crowd control, inclement weather, etc.
– Ingredients for a successful event.
– Ship Recruitment.
– Trainee Placements.
– Corporate Hospitality
– Economic Impact Studies
– Media Relations & Management
Other suggestions are welcome.
As in previous years the Conference will be divided up into a number of sessions and workshops on each day. Some of the sessions will be repeated on the same day to allow more delegates to attend each session.
In some cases one speaker may be the sole presenter for a session but in most cases there will be a principle speaker and either one or two other speakers for each session.
Each session will last for 1 hour and 15 minutes. It is planned that speakers should jointly occupy not more than 50 minutes of the allocated time for each session, leaving at least 25 minutes available for questions.
We would like to hear from anyone who is interested in presenting at the conference on either one of the proposed topics or on another topic. If you are interested please let reply to email@example.com by June 15.
For more detailed information on the International Sail Training and Tall Ships Conference visit the ASTA Website at www.sailtraining.org/events/conference .
The American Sail Training Association is a founder member of Sail Training International